Foreign citizens who want to immigrate to Luxembourg must complete various formalities depending on their countries of origin. These are less stringent for EU citizens and lengthier for non-EU nationals who want to move to Luxembourg.
Below, our immigration lawyers in Luxembourg
explain the main conditions related to relocating to the Grand Duchy. You can rely on us no matter if you are an EU or non-EU citizen, as all our services are tailored to your needs.
| Quick Facts || |
| Entry visa requirement (from EU) (YES/NO) || No, EU citizens do no need visas to enter Luxembourg |
Entry visa requirement (outside EU) (YES/NO)
| Yes |
Types of visas available
- entry visas,
- student visas,
- business visas,
- employment permits,
- temporary residence permit,
- long-term residence permits can be obtained to immigrate to Luxembourg
| Time frame for obtaining work visa (approx.) || Between 15 and 45 days depending on the applicant's country of origin |
| Validity of temporary residence permit || |
First residence permit has a validity of one year
| Temporary residence permit renewal requirements || |
The conditions met when obtaining the first permit must be maintained.
| Documents for obtaining a residence permit || |
- valid passport,
- valid health insurance,
- documents attesting the reason to move to Luxembourg,
- proof of local address,
- proof of sufficient self-sustenance funds
| Timeframe for obtaining permanent residence || |
Living in Luxembourg for 5 uninterrupted years
| Investor Visa availability || |
There are various schemes under which investors can relocate to Luxembourg.
| Start-up Visa Scheme availability (YES/NO) || No |
| Sponsorship requirement (YES/NO) || |
No, there is no sponsorship requirement to immigrate to Luxembourg.
| Time frame for obtaining citizenship || |
Living in Luxembourg for 5 years based on a permanent residence permit.
| Citizenship/Residency by investment scheme availability || |
Residency by investment scheme is available.
| Taxation of foreign citizens || |
Residents must pay the income tax on their worlwide income in Luxembourg at rates rangining from 0% to 42%.
| Tax benefits for expats || 50% tax exemption of an amount not exceeding 30% of the impatriate’s annual basic salary (for highly-skilled workers) |
Luxembourg migration regulations
Luxembourg's immigration process
implies respecting the Nationality Law which prescribes the types of visas foreign citizens
need to enter the country and the permits enabling them to live here.
In terms of visas, here are the main options for those who want to relocate to Luxembourg for definite periods:
- short-term visas;
- long-term visas used by those interested in immigration to Luxembourg.
The last option enables an applicant to later qualify for permanent residency and citizenship in Luxembourg.
If you are interested in starting the relocation procedure, you can get in touch with our immigration lawyer in Luxembourg.
Foreign citizens can also apply for Schengen visas for Luxembourg which take from 15 to 60 days to be issued, depending on various factors. If you want to immigrate to Luxembourg
from a non-EU country
, we advise considering that you may need to apply for such a visa, thus calculate your departure in accordance.
Obtaining residency in Luxembourg
the immigration process
is not lengthy if all the requirements are met, and once moved here, the applicant can enjoy various benefits. In order to obtain them, however, one must secure a residence permit
If EU citizens only need residence certificates that are issued by the nearest local authorities of their addresses (places to stay), non-EU citizens must consider applying for residence permits.
Here are the main reasons under which non-EU citizens can obtain Luxembourg residence permits:
- employment which is one of the most common ways to immigrate to Luxembourg;
- studentship also implies obtaining temporary residency in Luxembourg;
- investment which is a great way to move to Luxembourg and run a business here;
- retirement is also an option for those desiring a peaceful lifestyle.
We mention the fact that obtaining a temporary residence permit can take up to 3 months, so feel free to discuss all related aspects to our law firm in Luxembourg
. We can also advise on other Luxembourg migration regulations.
Documents required to move to Luxembourg
If you are planning to immigrate to Luxembourg
, here are the main documents to prepare and file with the embassy or consulate in your home country:
- the valid passport (at least 6 months of validity is required);
- a health certificate is also needed for non-EU citizens (it depends on the country of origin of the applicant);
- a clean criminal record may also be needed (especially for those coming based on investment visas);
- reason of relocation (employment contract, sponsorship from an educational institution, pension coupon, etc.) - having a proper reason is essential for immigration to Luxembourg;
- proof of having a place to stay (rental agreement, lease contract, proof of property ownership);
In the case of EU citizens, the proof of address will be used to obtain the residency certificate.
If you decide to move to Luxembourg
, get in touch with our specialists for support in applying for the desired residence permit. Our immigration lawyer in Luxembourg
can also help you obtain permanent residence here.
Immigrate to Luxembourg by employement
One of the safest ways to move to the Grand Duchy is by employment
, especially when coming here from a non-EU country, as they need visas to enter and stay in the country.
Luxembourg’s migration rules for non-EU citizens applying for residency by employment implies first getting a labor contract with a local employer. This way, the Luxembourg company will be required to submit the work permit application for the foreign employee it wants to bring to the country. However, an important aspect to consider is that the hiring process can start after the enterprise has exhausted all internal and external resources to fill the post with a national or an EU citizen.
Luxembourg’s immigration requirements for EU citizens are less stringent, as they are permitted to move to Luxembourg during the first three months of residence without seeking for a residence permit. They can choose to work for a local business or run their own business in the Grand Duchy.
Register as a sole trader or entrepreneur here comes with various advantages, such as running one’s own small business. Our immigration lawyers in Luxembourg are at the service of EU and non-EU citizens seeking to relocate here.
Moving to Luxembourg as an entrepreneur
The rules for immigration to Luxembourg as an entrepreneur depend on whether the applicant requires a business permit or his/her accreditations and experience suffice. The first step to obtain a self-employment visa implies to first apply for a temporary authorization to stay, followed by obtaining the respective visa.
Luxembourg’s migration regulations for third-country nationals require them to meet the following conditions in order to be given permission to work as a self-employed worker:
- to prove they have the skills or experience related to the professions of craftsman, trader, industrialist, and liberal professions;
- provide evidence that they have the necessary resources to carry out the desired activity in Luxembourg;
- ensure they are registered with the appropriate professional body in the relevant professional register (where applicable).
The application is usually submitted in person, however, it is also possible to appoint a proxy to complete the procedure by power of attorney. You can rely on our Luxembourg lawyers for assistance in this sense.
The request for a temporary authorization to stay must include the following:
- a copy of the valid passport;
- a copy of the criminal record or a sworn declaration established in the country of residency;
- an updated resume;
- a strategy for financing the business;
- evidence that the applicant has the financial means to execute his business plan.
The self-employment permit is issued in approximately 3 months from obtaining the temporary authorization to stay.
If you need more information on Luxembourg’s immigration requirements as a sole entrepreneur, feel free to discuss this option with our specialists.
Obtaining permanent residency and citizenship in Luxembourg
The documentation needed to apply for a permanent residence visa in Luxembourg after 5 years of living here is not difficult, but the duration must be carefully examined, as it can take up to 6 months to obtain the PR card.
In terms of citizenship, investment is one of the main ways to secure a Luxembourg passport after 5 years of uninterrupted stay. However, naturalization is also available for those who have lived for the same timeframe.
If you are interested in exploring other options before deciding to immigrate to Luxembourg
permanently, the digital nomad visa
is a great option to get acquainted with the lifestyle here.
Foreign citizens living in Luxembourg
- in 2021, nearly 300,000 foreigners resided in Luxembourg;
- most of them, approximately 95,000 came from Portugal;
- the second largest community of foreigners, nearly 48,500 are French.